Friday, March 1, 2013

In My Face

This time of year always seems to do the same thing to me. February and it's grey skies overstay their welcome and I am ready to move on. My mood gets a little gloomy when all I see is haze and ice outside.
The good news? I was just looking over the calendar and noticed that next weekend ushers in daylight savings time! Yay! The sun will stick around for another hour in the evening! I am just waiting for the day I hear that first bird chirping! Walker and I are ready to break out the stroller for our morning strolls again!
More good news? We have a plan for Spring break! It involves a road trip, but I will wait to share details, because with my track record over the past couple of years, I won't get it planned and it won't happen.
We are gearing up for Birthday season at our house. Spring brings a lot of cake around here! Wally will be TEN next week! Oh my! Will is turning eight in April and he is very excited to have guests visit for his baptism. I don't remember being so glad to see March in many years, and I have a feeling I am going to be just as ready to see April!
I have had a lot on my mind, and a husband that is not home a lot lately, and when I am thinking hard, I tend not to write on my blog. It should be the opposite of that. But as my husband has helped me realize over the past couple of years, I tend to mull things over for a long time before I share. That is the reason for this very uneventful post.

I thought I would share something that seems very trivial, but, it has made a difference in my life.

During the Spring of 2012 I began to have problems with acne. Most especially on my chin. At first I thought it was just a few months of bad luck, maybe some stress, and not helped by the fact that I often sleep with my hands on my face, and it would be a nuisance, but go away.
By Summer, I was seeking treatment in the form of facials and peels with an esthetician, and changing the makeup I used. Nothing seemed to be helping. Problems with my chin persisted. The esthetician's opinion was that it was a combo of stress, and hormones. I believe her.
I started eliminating foods from my diet that I thought may be provoking break outs. I was at the point where I was avoiding eggs, dairy and wheat as much as possible. I learned I am no good at avoiding good food!

But it wasn't getting better. The truth was it was taking it's toll on my self esteem. I have never had to deal with persistent break outs, and I was getting desperate! I did however, refuse to go on any kind of medication for the problem, including taking birth control. I don't need to deal with those side effects.

I have been using Aveda products for about nine years. Hair products and their facial moisturizer mainly. But I decided that I was ready to change up my facial cleaning routine completely after a visit to my salon to get my eyebrows waxed. The girl doing the wax told me that the only thing that works for her is using all Aveda products and pretty much giving herself a facial everyday.
I had nothing to lose but a little time, so even though I scoffed at this for a minute, I decided that I better give it a try.
So now I have a new routine. I want to share it, just in case it is beneficial to anyone, but, I do realize that skin comes in as many forms, and with as many differing issues as anything in this world. So this may be the exact opposite of what your skin needs. I discovered that my skin has to be scrupulously clean, and constantly exfoliated.
This is just what has finally worked for me! I had to throw a little money at the problem. I figure it is probably costing me less than filling a prescription each month. All of these products have lasted me at least four to five months. And that is with use twice a day for some.

I switched over to Aveda Purifying Creme Cleanser
I use this cleaner morning and night.



I purchased a Clarisonic Mia cleansing brush.
I read mixed reviews about this brush, from those who loved it, and those who found it too abrasive. I even got a warning from yet another woman at the salon about how it can spread bacteria on your face. That may be the case for some, but I have loved this thing! I use the Aveda product with it, and not the cleanser that comes with the brush. That may be the distinction that some are overlooking in their bad reviews.

I use a facial mask every night. I am sure to get the water nice and warm while I cleanse, if I don't steam it, so that I get my pores open, and then I apply one of two masks I like. The first, and one that I use most consistently, is the Aveda Cleansing Clay Mask. I love this one! You don't have to leave it on very long, it feels soothing to the skin, and it has a lovely smell.


I do use an exfoliating mask instead of the clay mask about once a week. I use the Aveda Tourmaline Mask.

I follow the suggested time to leave the masks on, and then rinse with warm water. I then use the Aveda Hydrating Lotion. ( Sorry for the blurry photos, it was impossible to find images that came out clear.)



I also became more diligent in taking my multi vitamin, and Biotin. I have been using Trader Joe's brand for both of these, and have really liked them. I also purchased some Cod Liver Oil, which I have read is amazing for the skin, so I will have to let you know how that goes as soon as I get up the nerve to take it! Ha!
So there you have what looks to be a very involved skin care routine! I really is not so bad, especially now that I have it down, and I must say that for the past few months I have been beyond relieved with the results! I have definitely had a few problem spots pop up now and then on my chin, but they are what I would categorize as normal compared to what I was seeing before. I may never have the youthful, glowing skin I wish I had, but I will take what I can get!
I do love Aveda products!
I should be a paid spokesperson at the rate I am going!
I was sure glad someone told me about these products, so I thought maybe I would tell you!
Happy scrubbing!


2 comments:

paul said...

Can"t what to try that Love Dad.
Love a read your bloggs!

paul said...

(to) with that lasy one.